Sunday, June 26, 2011

"The Ginger Men" in One Buck Horror. 5 great stories for only $1!

On 6/27/2011 One Buck Horror releases their first issue. My story "The Ginger Men" is one of the shorts included in the edition.

I always try to weave everyday life into my stories. My idea for "The Ginger Men" was born this past Christmas. My friends Tami and Kat baked me some cookies. They were gingerbread cookies. And they were special gingerbread cookies. When the cookies came out of the oven and Tami and Kat tried to transfer them to a plate, they broke apart. The cookie men lost their arms and legs, sometimes even their heads.

Because Tami and Kat know I like zombies, they decided, even though the gingerbread men were "broken", that I'd appreciate them all the same. So they decorated them with tons of bloody red icing.

Those cookies were delicious and so much more interesting with the "blood"!

As I started making my own Christmas cookies for friends and neighbors (just boring old Italian recipes :)  ), and pulling out all the kitchen gadgets: cookie sheets, icing squirter things, whisks, wooden spoons, measuring cups, and sifters, I realized that a lot of these things I'd bought from a friend when I hosted a Pampered Chef party. And I remembered how stressed out I was that day preparing for that party.

So, in the story, I figured, why not have an evil kitchen gadget saleswoman who takes care of the neighborhood's family "problems" with some "special" ingredients.

Voila: "The Ginger Men" was born.

One Buck Horror's first issue also includes stories by Elizabeth Twist, Ada Hoffman, Mike Trier, and Mark Onspaugh.

I hope you'll check it out tomorrow and let me know what you think!

No comments: